Tuesday, March 19, 2013

People behind those Facebook Pages & Twitter Handles!



Yesterday I came across this Question posted on Social Samosa’s Facebook Page : What do you think should be the ideal first salary for a social media executive?

Being a Social Media Executive, I couldn’t stop myself from commenting on the status! It obviously attracted people from the Digital Field & some Agency Owners. The salary quoted by people ranged from about 5.5k to 30k. It is but obvious that some of the people who quoted salaries in the range of 5.5k – 10k were agency owners!

I have always loved having my own social media space – my own Social identity  – this over a period of time has helped me in many ways!  I have made lot of friends, business relations & one of the reason I am a part of this Digital world today is due to my activity on various social media platforms!

When I often meet new people & tell them about my Profile, some raise their eyebrows but many others seem pretty excited to know what exactly Social Media Marketing is all about.

Many people think Social Media Marketing is all about copying and pasting content from one place to various social media platforms. However, the reality is much different! 

A Social Media Executive’s main job is to create content! That content can’t be picked up from somewhere else. It has to be original. Their minds are constantly working & thinking what’s next!  The content generated by them has to be unique & catchy! Even though you can’t calculate ROI – there are other targets they have to achieve in terms of engagement/ interactions / likes, etc! 

SME’s have to constantly monitor the Brand’s various Social Media Platforms..Come up with creative social campaign ideas, generate content, make sure the content initiates conversations & interactions! Not only that, they are a link between the Client & the Consumers much like a Client Servicing person! That is, A Dual Role!! Oh wait a minute did I forget to mention – he/she should also have basic Photoshop skills – so the work becomes more easier for them than when the creative team is busy with other work?? A SME has to constantly be in touch with the client - understand the client’s requirements & then execute the same in a style which appeals to the audience!

There are times when people are enjoying Holi, Celebrating Christmas, Eid, Diwali & SME’s are busy running contests & campaigns on Social Media - NO they don’t get brownie points for that! No matter where in the world they go, they have to constantly keep checking / working through phone or their laptops, that means, even if you have taken an off – you don’t get a complete OFF day – you still have to make sure you have done your work because you can’t trust someone else with the Brand you handle!

Social Media Executives are very important! Why? Because they are your Brand’s lifeline!! One wrong move & the Brand’s Image is killed!  

 Still think that they don’t deserve being paid a good salary? Then go DIE!

4 comments:

  1. Good One and has Helped me in getting a Gist of what SME is all about. Go Ahead, keep Writing and sharing such Interesting Article which could boost our Knowledge also.
    I M bit Confuse about your Statement of third Line Which Says "my own Social identity "
    Can U also Explain me How It could Boost your Personal Social Image because ultimately what u create will going to effect the brand and not u, Kindly revert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hitesh

    @Faizan Mulla -First of all thank you so much for appreciating & I am glad i could add something fruitful here.

    By my own Social Identity - I was referring to myself & not the Brand's identity...I do have a Social Life & Social Presence apart from the Brands i handle :)

    Obviously people don't really know who is behind that Twitter handle/Facebook Page unless you tell them, which i don't really think many people speak of...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Wafa. My thoughts resonate with your words. SMEs indeed are lifeline of businesses, but when it comes to salary, it'll always be a tug of war between the employees and the employers.But SMEs do deserve a good pay

    ReplyDelete